Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Transfers, Email and the 10 Commandments

Hello!

(Side Note from Mom: David was in his first area, Udine, for 4.5 months, or three 6-week transfer periods. Now he's been in Ferrara for the last 6 months, or four 6-week transfer periods.  Tomorrow begins his 8th transfer period.)

My areas, in order: Florence is #3
NEW ASSIGNMENT.  Well the news this week is very good: I'm going to Firenze (Florence, Italy) and I will be District Leader, with a new companion named Elder Kormyl, who is going into his 3rd transfer.  I am so excited!  The district will be just the six missionaries in Firenze (4 anziani, 2 sorelle).  My zone includes Pistoia, Prato, and Montevarchi.

From what I've heard, Firenze is famous for:
1) Medieval Architecture,
2) They have a store well-known among missionaries where you can get cheap, cool ties, and
3) Good Leather Stuff: shoes, bags.

And, I heard that the apartment I'll be in is basically a penthouse: part of the top floor, with a balcony that goes around most of the building.  I'll see that when I get there.

WRAPPING UP. So this week has been packing, checking up on investigators, saying goodbye to a couple of church members, and yesterday we went to a restaurant called America Graffiti, which I think I've mentioned before.  It was still good :D

It's not a long train ride away, but it does require packing.  My suitcases are at the point I'd describe as "Lightly Full."  There is still space to put more stuff without throwing away old stuff: the best way for a suitcase to be.

iPAD ACTIVITY.  As far as the iPads, we have used them mainly to do "set-up" stuff: registering them, managing settings, testing this and that, downloading approved apps.  I can receive email on them if we're in a wifi area (like the church), but not respond until Wednesdays.  But to respond, I'm going to need a keyboard.  It's so much faster than touchscreen. (Side note: new keyboards at the apple store are 60 Euros.  Maybe you could find a cheaper one on amazon.uk and send it?)

BIBLE STORY.  You asked what was an inspirational scripture story that I read this week...Well, the Israelites got away from the Egyptians.  And Moses got the 10 Commandments. (I think there's a movie about that.  In Italian it's "Exodus: Dei e Re")  The student manual makes it easier to understand the significance and symbolism of Passover, the importance of the 10 Commandments, and the symbolism of the Ark of the Covenant and the Tabernacle, etc.

After 6 months in Ferrara, I'm ready to leave.  I got a call from an Elder (another missionary) who wanted to check up on Ferrara because he's going home.  BTW my trainer, Anziano Andersen, is going home, too.  Anyway this other Elder called from Udine (my 1st area).  He said, "You're like my inspiration.  I don't know how you managed to survive 3 transfers in Udine and 4 in Ferrara.  When I was finished with 4 in Ferrara, I was SO ready to go!"

So maybe once I've finished my mission I'll see these transfers as the difficult, tough ones.  But I've still been able to work hard, be discouraged, see some change in the areas, and learn how to be a better missionary.  So I'm content.

Have a great week!
Love, Anziano Whitesell

No comments:

Post a Comment