Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Golf, Cheesecake, and Being Sick

Hello!

SAME PLACE, DIFFERENT COMPANION.  We got transfer calls this past Saturday.  I am staying here in Ferrara, and Anziano Robinson is going away to Bergamo.  Yes, 'one-and-done' for him (he was only here for 1 transfer, or 6 weeks), somewhat unusual.  But okay, I'm getting a new companion named Anziano Lindsey.  Going into his 15th transfer.  (Each transfer is 6 weeks long, and in 2 years, missionaries have 17 transfers.)  So he's getting pretty close to dead.  ("Dead" means finished with his mission.)  I'm looking forward to the change, and seeing what this new Anziano is like.

UNDER THE WEATHER.  As far as stuff going on, I have been sick for the past week.  It has just been "bleah" most days.  It started Wednesday evening, feeling light-headed and having pretty bad chills.  Then Thursday was more too-hot, too-cold, too-hot, too-cold and coughing.
 So I broke out the ibuprofen I've had from America in my 1st-Aid kit and used that.  Friday was similar to Thursday.  And from then I've gotten mostly better, but the cough is still here.  I'll be quiet for a few minutes, then *GASP* cough-cough.  It's mostly annoying at this point, because I'm not tired or dizzy anymore.  I just have a cough.  Boooo!

IT'S THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS.  It's March 4, and I have a confession to make..."Happy Birthday",...to...Dad,...I think.  Sorry, I know there's a birthday on the 3rd, 21st (Kara), and the 31st (Side note: this is wrong, BTW--his Mom's bday is the 29th), but I can't remember which parent is on which end of the month.

 I'm pretty sure it's Dad: I hope so, because that's the letter I sent!  Which, incidentally, would have been there on time, but I got it back yesterday saying that I had to pay extra because it weighed too much.  So I sent it again, with extra postage.  Happy Birthday to Dad, you have a letter coming hopefully soon.

I also got the thermal underwear, thank you, the same day I got my other packages.  It has kept me warm a couple of days so far.

EXCELLENT CHEESECAKE.  So, today being Anziano Robinson's last P-Day here, we went to a diner called "American Graffiti," which is basically the opposite of "Olive Garden:" an American restaurant in Italy!  They have a good selection: cheeseburger/nachos/steak/burritos/buffalo wings.  Typical "American" fare.  I had nachos, which I'm not a huge fan of, but I felt like trying them this time.  They were all right.
Then they had cheesecake, which was excellent.

PUTTING PRACTICE.  And, last story, a couple of weeks ago for P-Day we played golf.  What?  Yes.  Anziano Robinson loves golf, and I...am not a huge fan, so we went and used the driving range.  I could get them out to about 75 meters, wheras he's hitting professional shots and adjusting his technique, and all that.  So, it wasn't a complete waste, but not something I'd choose to do again.

Service this week: we went to the food kitchen again.  It's an every-other-week kind of thing.

OLD FRIENDS.  (Side note: Frank told David that one of his old mission companions is now the Men's Volleyball Coach at BYU.  We saw him on t.v. a couple of weeks ago.)
 I love that you could pick Elder McGown out of the crowd in the sideline.  That's pretty neat.  I'll be interested to see what MY missionary peers become within the next few years.  Also the next 30 years.

When you see an old friend from the mission, the first question you get asked is "How are you doing?" then it's "How is the work going in X city?"  So on the one hand, it's sad to only see people every 6, 12, or 18 weeks or more.  But on the other hand, not much changes on a day-to-day basis, so there wouldn't really be a point to having daily communication.

TOP-NOTCH SPEAKER. The whole mission is coming together in April for a training by...David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.  Surprise!  Everyone is looking forward to that.  On the point I was making, all the missionaries in the whole country will get to see each other, which is nice.  Also we'll see Elder Bednar, which is very nice.

Have a great week!
Anziano Whitesell


No comments:

Post a Comment